The first mate is the second in command to the captain on board your yacht.
A First Mate on Board will Ensure you Have a Smooth Sailing Experience
Read on for an outline of the role and the skills and duties involved in being a first mate.
- The first mate will have responsibility for the outside of the yacht and sometimes he will also assist with the passage planning and navigation along with ensuring that documentation is kept up to date and securing the safety of everyone on board.
- The first mate will be able to step up and take over from the captain when necessary so you can rest assured that your family will always be in good hands whatever situation may arise.
- A good first mate will have at least two years’ experience of working on deck, be skilled at navigation and have a good knowledge of many yachts. He can tend to basic engineering duties and line handling and will have tender driving and watch-keeping experience.
- If required, a first mate will also have a PADI or NAUI scuba-diving certification and be computer literate too.
- The first mate can also be called upon to deal with accounting and managing other staff on deck.
- Here at Perfect Household Staff, we pride ourselves on offering a bespoke experience, so we will find you a first mate who has all the skills you need. If you would like him to speak a certain language or take on extra duties, then we can arrange this for you too.
- All of our first mates are very professional, smartly dressed and offer a discreet service at all times. They will ensure everything is smooth sailing on board and keep you and your family safe without ever getting in your way.